from the desk of Ofc. Bud Lytle
The Chillicothe Police Department would like to use this opportunity to educate citizens on the information we need when they are reporting suspicious or criminal activity.
1. Always speak clear and concise so the dispatcher can understand the information you are try to provide
2. Give as detailed a description of the suspect and the activity as possible:
a. These should include height, weight, hair color, clothing type and color
b. Be as clear as possible about what the suspect is doing
3. Give any applicable vehicle descriptions:
a. Color of the vehicle, if possible
b. Type of the vehicle (make and model)
c. LICENSE PLATE NUMBER, if possible
4. Attempt to give a precise location where you last observed the suspect and what direction they were traveling when you last saw them.
5. Call as promptly as possible. A longer delay in calling provides the suspected party the opportunity to depart the area prior to us contacting them.
Attached is a form to assist citizens when calling in a suspect. This form asks for the detailed
information we need when attempting to locate a suspect.
We would like to thank those citizens who have been willing to get involved and call us when
they observe suspicious activity in their neighborhoods. Because of these calls we have recently been
able to contact and apprehend numerous theft offenders. Without the citizens making prompt calls and providing clear and concise information, these apprehensions would have been much more difficult
Click the link below to view an example “suspect description” sheet. You can print it out or use it as an example as to what we would look for in a description of suspects.